Sure, you can already pick up an Eee PC 901, 1000 or 1000H in Taiwan. And the company’s been projecting a July 1st launch date for the UK for a while now. But up until this evening I hadn’t heard any word on a US release.

But a reader contacted me today and let me know that he had called the Asus pre-sales department on a whim today and asked when the Eee PC 901 would be hitting the US. And without hesitating, the rep told him July 8th. I repeated the experiement and made sure to ask about the Eee PC 1000 and I was told that both models would be available in the US on July 8th.

Now, Asus has been known to miss ship dates before, but it’s seriously looking like the company might be able to beat MSI in getting a 10-inch laptop with a 1024 x 600 resolution screen to market in the US.

On the other hand, Asus will be charging $599 or more for these computers, while the MSI Wind laptop will carry a $479 price tag. The Wind also has a larger keyboard and according to Laptop Magazine gets bettery battery life, which means it might be worth the wait. And who knows? Maybe we’ll be surprised and MSI will actually launch the notebook tomorrow.

thanks Cass!

Update: It looks like the MSI Wind release date has been pushed back to July 7th.

Support Liliputing

Liliputing's primary sources of revenue are advertising and affiliate links (if you click the "Shop" button at the top of the page and buy something on Amazon, for example, we'll get a small commission).

But there are several ways you can support the site directly even if you're using an ad blocker* and hate online shopping.

Contribute to our Patreon campaign


Contribute via PayPal

* If you are using an ad blocker like uBlock Origin and seeing a pop-up message at the bottom of the screen, we have a guide that may help you disable it.

Subscribe to Liliputing via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 9,543 other subscribers

19 replies on “Eee PC 901, 1000(H) to hit the US on July 8th”

  1. I’m leaving for a round the world trip on July 10 and I was really hoping to tote the MSI Wind with me. These delays are so unbearable I’m going to have to go with the Eee and sing its praises instead.

    I can’t imagine waiting again until July 7 for the Wind, with the chance that they will fail to fufill again. It’s too close to the launch of my global travels.

    Maybe I’ll pick up a Wind in Taiwan in Spring 2009…

  2. Personally I’d much rather have an Eee 901 instead of the wind. I know it’s not a popular point of view, but the size difference is what does it for me. There’s such a wow factor with the Eee, considering it is by far the smallest notebook most people have seen, and that slight extra bit of portability is pretty damn important to me.

    1. agreed. Although when they debuted on June 3rd I made a detailed spreadsheet comparing the two, the eee came out on top. The trackpad, SSD, FN key placement, smaller size, 802.11n, expandability options (from jkkmobile), and now the double capacity battery? Even though it’s $120 more, I think in the end I’ll be happier with the eee.

      I’m really curious to see about the ZIF connector pointed out when they took apart the eee originally. I have my old Zune, and if I could drop that into an eee, it’d sort of ruin the point of SSD, but would be awesome.

  3. I ordered a Wind, and just got an email from MSI, stating that it was going to be delayed to the week of July 7th. But they’ll upgrade my shipping to overnight, for the trouble. So if ASUS can stay on the ball and actually keep their release dates, if MSI delays *any* longer at all, the Eee might win out after all…

  4. Isn’t the MSI battery like 2200mAh, and 901 and 1000 660mAh? So basically, that’s what you’d be trading off given most other specs are same?

      1. Ah cheers – I am weighing up which to get myself – i had read 2200, which seemed a bit small.

        1. well from wat ive read the wind only has a 3 cell battery while the 901 has a 6 cell, so the 901 has a lot better battery life than the wind.

          1. The 1000 will have the 6 cell battery and with the better stability in the SSD I think it’s the way I’ll go. I’ve been waiting and I think after all of this I’m ready to pull the trigger on the 1000 over the Wind which only has a standard HDD

  5. It just got a little worse for the MSI Wind. Its basically a price and availability battle at this point.

Comments are closed.