Pine64, the company behind a line of geeky, inexpensive, and hackable smartphones, laptops, and single-board computers designed to run open source software tend to only publish one blog post each month. But it’s always a doozy, and the January update is no exception.
Among other things, Pine64 unveiled that
- The next PinePhone Community Edition smartphone will be available for pre-order starting Monday.
- The optional keyboard accessory for the phone is coming in April.
- Early OpenManjaro builds are now available for the PinePhone
- A new single-board computer is on the way, and it’s expected to be the first with Rockchip’s new RK3566 processor
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Check out the article for more details. And while you’re at it, maybe check out some of these other links for tech news updates from around the web.
- Samsung just confirmed the S Pen is coming to more Galaxy smartphones! [SamMobile]
The Galaxy S21 is the first Samsung phone outside of the Galaxy Note series to support an S-Pen. It’s an optional accessory, and there’s even a Pro model with Bluetooth support. Now Samsung now says S-Pen support is coming to more devices in the future.
- Apple Considers Foldable iPhone; Minor Changes Planned for 2021 Models [Bloomberg]
Report: Apple is starting work on a foldable iPhone, but may be years away from releasing one, if it ever does. One new feature is coming to 2021 phones though: an in-screen fingerprint reader.
- Librem 14 Update: Shipping Starts in February with Extended Battery [Purism]
Purism’s Librem 14 Linux laptop will begin shipping in February, most customers will get a larger battery than anticipated (you have a choice of using a 4-cell battery + 1 M.2 accessible slot for storage, or a 3-cell battery plus 2 M.2 slots).
- Pine64 January Update: Happy New Gear! [Pine64]
This month’s update includes includes a peek at the layout for the upcoming PinePhone keyboard accessory and a link to the first builds of OpenManjaro for the PinePhone.
- Quartz64 single-board computer with RK3566 [Pine64]
Pine64 announces that the upcoming Quartz64 will be the first single-board computer powered by an Rockchip RK3566 processor. It will be available with 4GB or 8GB of RAM and features USB-C and USB 3.0 ports, a GPIO header, and an optional 10″ E Ink screen.
- Genode OS Framework is adding PinePhone support [LinuxSmartphones]
When I wrote this article about a new open source operating system coming to the PinePhone, I figured it would be the only PinePhone article I wrote today. I was wrong…
- PinePhone Mobian Community Edition goes up for pre-order Jan 18 [LinuxSmartphones]
… because Pine64 announced that the next PinePhone Community Edition smartphone will go on sale next week. It’ll ship with this Debian-based operating system that I first wrote about last summer.
Keep up on the latest headlines by following Liliputing on Twitter and Facebook.
You can also find the latest news about open source phones by following our sister site Linux Smartphones on Facebook and Twitter.
Subscribe to Liliputing via Email
Join 16,203 other subscribers
when lora edition?
A LoRA edition of the pinephone?
Well, they’re planning it but that won’t be a phone. They’re calling it the pine communicator or “PineCom.”
Broken link on: Samsung just confirmed the S Pen is coming to more Galaxy smartphones! [SamMobile]
Whoops, it should be fixed now!
Small error(extra 4) on the amount of RAM for the SBC, which makes it sound like it has a large amount of RAM. I don’t recall reading about the RK3566 yet. I was recently wondering what Rockchip had coming out next. It felt like some of their chips needed to be updated or replaced.
I got a new mechanical keyboard recently and the 4 is a bit sticky. sigh
Comments are closed.