Android may be designed for smartphones and tablets, but that hasn’t stopped companies from slapping it on boxes designed for your TV. And there’s a reason for that: There are hundreds of thousands of apps for Android, and while most were designed for small screens, many look good on bigger displays.
Netflix, YouTube, and HBO Plus all run on Android. You can also play games, surf the web, and even run the XBMC media center app.
The G-Box Midnight MX2 is just one of dozens of Android TV boxes on the market, but it’s one of the few that was designed specifically to work with XBMC.
The folks at Matricom sent me one to test earlier this year, and while it’s not quite as simple to use as a Roku, Apple TV, or Google Chromecast, it is a pretty versatile device with decent performance.
Now that I’m done with the MX2 though, it’s time to find it a new home. So let’s have a contest!
Here’s what we’re giving away: The G-Box Midnight MX2 features an Amlogic AM8726 ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core processor, ARM Mali 400 graphics, 1GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, 802.11n WiFi and 10/100 Ethernet.
The TV box runs Android 4.2 Jelly Bean software. It comes with XBMC pre-loaded and the software is pre-rooted, with SuperUser installed.
Inside the box you’ll also find a wireless remote control, power adapter, and AV cables. The device also has 4 USB ports, which you can use to connect external storage, a keyboard, mouse, game controller, or other peripherals. There’s an HDMI port for connecting a TV, but you’ll need to provide your own HDMI cable if you don’t want to use the AV cables.
Keep in mind, this is a lightly used model.
The G-Box Midnight MX2 is available from Amazon for around $100 or less.
Here’s how to enter to win:
Leave (just one) comment by 6:00AM Eastern on Monday, 12/23/2013
That’s pretty much it. But there’s a little not-so-fine print:
- We’ll randomly select a winner from all valid entries.
- The contest is only open to residents of the United States or folks with a valid US shipping address.
- Anyone who writes for Liliputing, or is close friends or family members with a writer is disqualified.
- Make sure to use a valid email address, Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ account when you leave your comment — and make sure to check your messages after the contest ends.
- The winner will have 48 hours to respond after they’re notified. We’ll pick someone else if we don’t hear back within 2 days.
Thanks again to Matricom for providing us with the G-Box Midnight MX2!
Update: The contest has ended. Congratulations to our winner, jeremywc!