The Amazon Kindle Fire isn’t the only $200 tablet getting a software update. Barnes & Noble has just rolled out a software update for its year-old NOOK Color tablet. NOOK Color v1.4.1 includes a number of updates including:
- Support for streaming movies and TV shows from Netflix (for $7.99 per month)
- Comics and graphic novels
- PagePerfect NOOK Books which are digital reproductions of the print versions of cookbooks, art books and other books where looks matter
- Ability to read books in portrait or landscape mode
- Ability to look up words in the dictionary
- New font size selections
The software will roll out automatically starting this week, but if your’e impatient you can download NOOK Color v.1.4.1 from the B&N website and install it manually.
Most of the new features are already available in the $249 B&N NOOK Tablet, which also has twice as much storage and RAM and a faster processor than the NOOK Color.
Update: If you have a rooted NOOK Color, installing the new software will remove your root access and delete the Android Market if it’s installed.
You can also re-root the device or continue to boot CyanogenMod or a different operating system from an SD card.
Someone in the rest of the thread wrote you can not sideload the apps like on the Tablet.
Comments are closed.