Before tablets and smartphones captured much of the market for handheld computing devices, there were UMPCs, or ultra-mobile personal computers.
The product category kind of died out after Microsoft and Intel abandoned the platform about a decade ago. But over the past few years we’ve seen a growing number of tiny laptops and convertibles with 7 to 9 inch displays that seem to be reviving this niche computing category… in more ways than one.
While modern mini-laptops from companies like GPD and One Netbook are super-small… they’re not exactly super-cheap.
Chuwi, Peakago, and a few other companies are bringing cheaper options to market. But with the holiday shopping season approaching, some retailers including GeekBuying, Gearbest, and DealExtreme are also running sales that make some GPD and One Netbook devices a little more affordable.
Here are some of the day’s best deals.
- One Netbook One Mix 2S Yoga 7″ convertible w/Core m3-8100Y/8GB/256GB for $640 – GeekBuying
- One Netbook One Mix 1S Yoga 7″ converitble w/Celeron 3965Y/8GB/128GB for $440 and up – GeekBuying
- One Netbook One Mix 1S Yoga 7″ convertible w/Celeron 3965Y/8GB/256GB for $500 – Gearbest
- GPD Pocket 2 7″ mini-laptop w/Celeron 3965Y/8GB/256GB for $448 – DealExtreme
- GPD P2 Max 8.9″ mini-laptop w/Celeron 3965Y/8GB/256GB for $582 – DealExtreme
- Lenovo ThinkPad E495 14″ laptop w/Ryzen 5 3500U/8GB/256GB for $500 – Newegg
- Asus ZenBook 14 UX431 w/Core i7-8565U/MX150/16GB/512GB for $900 – Newegg
- Microsoft Surface Book 2 for $1049 and up – Microsoft Store
- BMAX Y11 11.6″ convertible w/Celeron N4100/8GB/256GB for $329 – GeekBuying
- Roku Express (1080p) for $24 – Amazon (or $25 from Roku)
- Roku Premiere (4K HDR) for $29 – Amazon (or $30 from Roku)
- Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K + Echo Dot (3rd-gen) for $47 – Amazon
- Amazon Fire TV Stick (1080p) + Echo Dot (3rd-gen) for $42 – Amazon
- TP-Link Deco M5 AC1300 mesh WiFi system 3-pack for $130 – Woot
- Tenda Nova MW6 mesh WiFi system 2-pack for $60 – Newegg (coupon: EMCUUUE29)
- Refurb Amazon Fire HD 10 (7th-gen) w/32GB for $80 – Amazon
- Fitbit Versa 2 smartwatch for $150 – Amazon
- Seagate 4TB Backup Plus portable USB hard drive for $70 – Woot
- Anker charging accessories for up to 32-percent off – Amazon
- Audible 3-month subscription for $7/month – Amazon
Liliputing’s primary sources of revenue are advertising and affiliate links (if you click the “Shop” button at the top of the page and buy something on Amazon, for example, we’ll get a small commission).
But there are several ways you can support the site directly even if you’re using an ad blocker and hate online shopping.