The Clockwork GameShell is a handheld game system that looks like a Nintendo GameBoy… when it’s fully assembled. But there are a few things that set the GameShell apart from other gaming devices.
It runs open source software and it features a modular design. Clockwork sent me one earlier this year and it took me around a half hour to assemble the system and start playing games.
Thanks to the modular design you can also upgrade the hardware — Clockwork recently released a new core module featuring double the RAM and an HDMI port. You can either buy it as part of a whole new kit or just by the new module and put it in the original GameShell.
Don’t have an original GameShell? Maybe I can help. It’s time for a Liliputing giveaway.
As is usually the case with Liliputing giveaways, what I’m offering here is a lightly used device… but this time that means that I’m kind of robbing you of some of the experience.
I’ve already assembled the GameShell from its component parts. While I could take it apart before shipping it, it’d be kind of tough to put some of these components back in the box. So I’m going to ship an assembled GameShell to the winner of this contest and you can do whatever you’d like with it.
That involves upgrading to the newer CPU module, installing games or emulators, or just generally mucking around in the user forums to get ideas for things to do with the GameShell.
Anyway, here’s how to enter for a chance to win:
Update: This contest has ended. Congratulations to our winner, Paul Johnson!
Leave a comment on this article by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on Sunday, December 30th.
Ready for the fine print?
- This contest is open to Liliputing readers with a valid shipping address in the Continental United States.
- Please leave only one comment.
- Please use a valid email address to leave your comment so I have a way to contact you.
- I’ll randomly select a winner from the valid entries.
- Once a winner has been contacted, that person will have 48 hours to respond before I pick a new winner.
- Writers for Liliputing and close friends and family members are not eligible to win.
- Neither is anyone who’s won another Liliputing contest in the past 30 days.