AMD is outlining its plans for 2018, and along with introducing new Ryzen Mobile processors, the company plans to bring its first Ryzen desktop chips with integrated graphics to market.

AMD has long used its graphics technology to help differentiate its chips from Intel’s. But while the first laptop chips based on the company’s Zen architecture included integrated AMD Radeon Vega graphics, the desktop Ryzen chips AMD released in 2017 had no GPU at all. Users had to supply their own graphics card.

Now AMD is introducing two options for folks that want a Ryzen desktop processor with integrated Radeon Vega graphics:

  • Ryzen 5 2400G – 4 core/8 thread, 3.9GHz max CPU with 11 graphics compute units, 1.25 GHz max GPU speed, 6MB cache, 45W – 65W TDP
  • Ryzen 3 2200G – 4-core/4-thread, 3.7 GHz max CPU with 8 graphics compute units 1.1 GHz max GPU speed, 6MB cachce, 45W – 65W TDP

AMD also plans to launch 2nd-gen Ryzen chips in April. They’ll be based on a new 12nm Zen+ architecture and they’re expected to offer about a 10 percent performance boost.

Eventually those chips will be replaced by 7nm chips based on Zen 2 architecture. And AMD says it’s on track to release 7nm+ Zen 3 chips by 2020.

We’ll also see the first “Radeon Vega Mobile” GPUs for thin notebooks this year, which will help AMD compete with NVIDIA in the ultrathin notebook space.

press release and additional details via TweakTown



Support Liliputing

Liliputing's primary sources of revenue are advertising and affiliate links (if you click the "Shop" button at the top of the page and buy something on Amazon, for example, we'll get a small commission).

But there are several ways you can support the site directly even if you're using an ad blocker and hate online shopping.

Contribute to our Patreon campaign

or...

Contribute via PayPal

5 replies on “AMD roadmap: 2nd-gen Ryzen chips and Ryzen desktop CPUs with integrated Radeon graphics”

  1. I really hope that they don’t follow Intel’s example with their bundling of iGPUs. With Intel, you can’t buy a medium level CPU with a medium level GPU. Intel has low-end dual-cores with low-end iGPUs, and very high end i7s, with high end iGPUs.

    It makes the prospect of buying something even remotely suitable for light-to-medium gaming impossible. The low-end is too low-end in the GPU department, and the highend is too expensive.

    If AMD makes a medium level 4-core CPU (Something similar to the Ryzen R3 1300X), with an iGPU equivalent to a GTX 1050ti, that would be a real winner product.

    I’m not going to spend $400+ on a super-high-end Ryzen 7 CPU, just to get an iGPU that is barely sufficient for light gaming.

    1. I know quite a few desktop home power users who are not gamers but just do video editing and conversion and other computationally intensive tasks who would quite appreciate having a low-end iGPU in their Ryzen 7 system rather than being forced to spend $50 and install a bargain bin video card.

    2. Buying a top end CPU for the GPU is like buying a car because it has 16 cup holders. You’ve almost definitely not got the best deal by focusing on the wrong aspect. Light gaming? Get a low end Intel CPU and a low end dedicated GPU. It’s cheaper than a high end CPU with what is still ultimately low end graphics.

  2. I hope AMD takes a page from Intel’s playbook and install an iGPU in the Ryzen 2 (Zen+) Desktop CPU’s for 2018.

    Nothing major, just a Vega 8 unit that clocks to 1.1GHz is fine. Just make it standard from the Ryzen r3 to the r7 this year. It should be enough power to do daily tasks (4K stream etc etc) so people don’t also need to buy a separate GPU (GT 1030/RX 550). And it will mean diagnosing CPU and GPU problems becomes much easier. Not to mention all the benefits to the Linux and Hackintosh communities.

    I’m also crossing my fingers this Zen+ refresh will bring some improvements to the IPC. If it increases by 10% then it will match Intel in IPC performance. And if they can improve the frequency from 4.0GHz to 4.5GHz, which is another 15% increase, then they will match Intel in the Clockspeed too. Then AMD will have a definitive lead with their 8c/16t chipsets. So overall, another 25% increase… which is a big ask, and I doubt we will get it.

    I think what we will actually get, is the same IPC as Ryzen v1, however, I think only the frequency issue will be solved by bumping up the 3.9GHz cap to a 4.4GHz clockspeed. Which is a mild improvement, like Intel did from their i7-4970k to the i7-6700k/7700k. But this will allow people from last year to upgrade their budget Ryzen r3-1200 CPU’s to a better Ryzen r7-2700 CPU sometime early this year.

    Only time will tell.

Comments are closed.