Disclosure: Some links on this page are monetized by the Skimlinks, Amazon, Rakuten Advertising, and eBay, affiliate programs. All prices are subject to change, and this article only reflects the prices available at time of publication.
The first Amazon Kindle was released in 2007 and it was an ugly looking device with a physical keyboard, an odd angular design, and a $399 price tag. It was also relatively late to the eReader party where Amazon was competing with more established players like Sony.
But Amazon built a solid ecosystems, a huge catalog of eBook content, and started driving down the price of its devices. A decade later, you can pick up a brand new Kindle for $80 and up… but they’re often cheaper than that due to sales that take place throughout the year. Right now Amazon is running one of those sales to celebrate the Kindle’s 10th anniversary.
Prices start at $50 for the entry-level Kindle, or just $40 if you’re cool with refurbished products. The most attractive deal of the bunch (for me) may be the refurbished Kindle Voyage for $135. It has a screen that sits flush with the device, page press buttons, and more even lighting than the cheaper Paperwhite, and this is one of the best prices I’ve seen.
The down side of Amazon’s dominance of the eBook and eReader market is that there’s not much competition in the space right now, and Kindle devices don’t support some open standards like ePub. But I primarily use my Kindle Paperwhite to read library books (so I didn’t expect to “own” them anyway), and DRM-free (or stripped) eBooks and online articles I save using the send-to-Kindle feature.
Here are some of the day’s best deals.
- Amazon Kindle for $50 – Amazon
- Amazon Kindle Paperwhite for $90 – Amazon
- Amazon Kindle Voyage for $170 – Amazon
- Amazon Kindle for Kids Bundle for $70 – Amazon
Refurbished Kindle devices
- Refurb Amazon Kindle for $40 – Amazon
- Refurb Amazon Kindle Paperwhite for $80 – Amazon
- Refurb Amazon Kindle Voyage for $135 – Amazon
- Amazon Fire 7″ Kids Edition tablet for $80 – Amazon
- Amazon Fire HD 8 Kids Edition tablet for $100 – Amazon
- Amazon Fire HD 8 Kids Edition tablet 2-pack for $180 – Amazon
Digital media and subscriptions
- Audible 1-year membership for $100 – Audible
- Kindle Unlimited 1-year subscription for $80 (or 2-years for $144) – Amazon
- Kindle eBooks for up to 85 percent off – Amazon
- Refurb Google Chromecast (2nd-gen) for $24 – Groupon
- Acer Chromebook R11 convertible w/Celeron N3160/4GB/32GB for $249 – Best Buy
- Lenovo IdeaPad 710s 13″ notebook w/Core i7-6560U/8GB256GB fr $650 – Adorama (via eBay)
You can find more bargains in our daily deals section.