Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 smartphone was on fire last year… literally. Following a massive recall of the smartphone, next week Samsung is expected to reveal the results of it investigation into what caused some phones to catch fire spontaneously. According to Reuters, the problem is battery-related, which is a totally vague, but unsurprising conclusion.

Lithium-Ion problems can get very hot while in use, and in some cases they can even catch fire.

But researchers at Stanford may have found a new solution: batteries with their own fire extinguishers.

The researchers have published an article in ScienceAdvances titled “Electrospun core-shell microfiber separator with thermal-triggered flame-retardant properties for lithium-ion batteries.”

In other words, if the battery gets too hot, a protective layer with flame retardant properties would melt and pout out fires almost as soon as they could start.

The material used is triphenyl phosphate, or TPP. While this isn’t the first time someone has tried to use it to keep batteries from combusting, using TPP inside a battery can take a toll on the performance of a battery. The new method puts TPP into a protective shell that keeps it separate from the battery until temperatures are high enough to melt the shell.

Of course, this system would help keep an exploding phone from causing serious damage… once. But a better solution might be to find ways to keep battery temperatures from rising to dangerous levels in the first place.

via BBC

Support Liliputing

Liliputing's primary sources of revenue are advertising and affiliate links (if you click the "Shop" button at the top of the page and buy something on Amazon, for example, we'll get a small commission).

But there are several ways you can support the site directly even if you're using an ad blocker* and hate online shopping.

Contribute to our Patreon campaign

or...

Contribute via PayPal

* If you are using an ad blocker like uBlock Origin and seeing a pop-up message at the bottom of the screen, we have a guide that may help you disable it.