The latest version of open source office suite LibreOffice includes speed enhancements, a redesigned user interface with menus that help you find certain functions more quickly, and support for opening files on remote servers.
For instance, LibreOffice 5.1 lets you add FTP, SharePoint, OneDrive, WebDAV, or Google Drive sources so you can open, edit, and save files all from within LibreOffice.
Here are just a few of the other changes in LibreOffice 5.1:
- Writer has a new Styles menu for quick access to Heading, title, paragraph, quotation, and other formatting options.
- Calc has a new Sheet menu with operations such as Insert or Delete Cells, Rows, Columns, and Page Break.
- There’s a new Slide menu in Impress for creating and altering slides and their properties.
- You can export Calc spreadsheets as PNG images (this was already available for Writer and Impress).
- LibreOffice should have improved compatibility with Microsoft Office documents.
You can find more details in the release notes.
LibreOffice 5.1 is available as a free download for Windows, Mac, and Linux.