Sony is one of the only major Android smartphone makers that continues to produce high-quality phones with screens smaller than 5 inches. The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and Xperia Z5 Compact have the same cameras and processors as their larger siblings, but smaller displays, batteries, and price tags.
So what’s next for Sony? If you believe a rumor from the Chinese makers of the Antutu benchmarking tool, Sony’s next flagship phone will in 5 sizes: and two of them will be smaller than 5 inches.
Update: Or maybe we’ll just see two models.
Here’s the alleged plan for Sony’s Xperia Z6 line of smartphones:
- Sony Xperia Z6 mini: 4 inch display and Snapdragon 620 processor
- Sony Xperia Z6 Compact: 4.6 inch display and Snapdragon 820
- Sony Xperia Z6: 5.2 inch display and Snapdragon 820
- Sony Xperia Z6 Plus: 5.8 inch display and Snapdragon 820
- Sony Xperia Z6 Ultra: 6.4 inch display and Snapdragon 820
Sony hasn’t confirmed any details for its upcoming phones yet, but if the company follows the same strategy it’s used for the past few years, it seems likely that we’ll see at least three models of the Xperia Z6 in 2016, with small, medium, and large screens.
Other specs haven’t been revealed yet, but it’s likely that the smaller phones will have 720 displays while the larger models will have 1920 x 1080 pixel or higher resolution displays.
This year’s Sony Xperia Z5 Premium, for example, is one of the first phones to ship with a 5.5 inch, 3840 x 2160 pixel display.