The Probox2 EX is one of the best Android-powered TV boxes I’ve tested to date. Like many devices in this category, it’s designed to let you run Android apps such as Netflix, Google Chrome or XBMC on a TV. It’s not quite as simple to use as a Roku or Chromecast, but it’s a lot more versatile.
W2Comp sells the Probox2 EX for $150 bundled with a wireless remote control called the Remote+ that also works as a gamepad/air mouse/microphone.
The store sent me a demo unit to test, and while I’m not convinced that this is the kind of box I want in my living room, there’s a lot to like about the little box… especially if you can snag one for free. So let’s have a giveaway!
The Probox2 EX features an Amlogic S802-H processor as well as 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage. The box has two full-sized USB 2.0 ports, 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11n WiFi, and Bluetooth 4.0.
It also has HDMI, AV, and S/PDIF ports for audio and video output as well as an SD card reader for removable storage.
There’s an adjustable external antenna, and the box gets pretty good WiFi reception in my house.
The box can handle HD video playback from the internet or from local (or network-attached) storage. You can also use it to play games — but I’ve found that the Remote+ doesn’t have enough buttons to work with many gamepad-compatible Android games. You may need a different gamepad if you plan to do a lot of gaming.
It’s also pretty clear that even though the Probox2 EX has a custom user interface that makes Android a little more TV-friendly, this version of Android isn’t really designed for televisions. Some apps which were designed for touchscreens can be difficult to navigate with a remote control or even with a keyboard and mouse.
There’s no word on whether we’ll see the new version of Android that is designed for TV ported to devices like the Probox2 EX in the future.
OK, enough about the device. Here’s how to win:
Leave a comment on this page by 6:00AM on Monday, October 27th, 2014
That’s all you have to do to enter… but here are some tips to make sure you’re actually eligible to win:
- This contest is open to residents of the continental United States.
- A winner will be randomly selected.
- That winner has 48 hours to respond after they’ve been notified. If I don’t hear anything back within that time, I’ll pick another name.
- Make sure you enter a valid email address, Twitter, Facebook or Google+ account when you login to leave your comment sot hat I have a way to notify you if your name is selected.
- Please lave only one comment.
- If you write for Liliputing or you’re a close friend or family member of someone who does, you’re not eligible to win.
- Neither is anyone who’s won another Liliputing contest in the past 60 days.
Thanks again to W2Comp for providing us with the Remote+ and Probox2 EX!
Oh, and if you do happen to win the device, you might want to check out the Probox2 update page for the latest firmware and instructions for updating the software on the device. That’s where you’ll also find a remote control app that you can install on an Android phone.
Update: Congratulations to our winner, dewman1!