Microsoft’s new Surface Pro 3 is a bigger, faster, thinner Surface tablet, and Microsoft thinks its the first model that might have a real shot at replacing your notebook.
Want to know what’s under the hood of the latest Surface tablet? Read on for all the details.
The Surface Pro 3 measures 11.5″ x 7.9″ x 0.36″ and weighs 1.76 pounds. It has a 3:2 aspect ratio display, making it a bit easier to hold in one hand than earlier Surface tablets, even though it has a bigger screen. The tablet has a magnesium case and a new type of fan that Microsoft says is 30 percent more efficient than earlier models, which is why the Surface Pro 3 is actually thinner than its predecessor.
The company will offer models with up to a Core i7 processor and up to 512GB of storage, although clearly the cheapest models will pack a lot less power and storage.
- Display: 12 inch, 2160 x 1440 pixel 3:2 display
- Touchscreen: Multitouch input
- Pen input: 256 levels of pressure sensitivity, pen comes with the tablet
- CPU: Intel Core i3, Core i5, or Core i7 CPU
- Memory: 4GB or 8GB of RAM
- Storage: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB or 512GB of solid state storage
- Wireless: 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0
- Battery: Up to 9 hours of run time while web browsing
- Cameras: 5MP rear camera and 1080p front camera
- Speakers/mics: Stereo speakers with Dolby audio, microphones on the fornt and back
- I/O: 1 USB 3.0 port, microSD card slot, mini DisplayPort, headset jack
The $799 model will feature a Core i3 Haswell CPU, 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. Other models include:
- $999: Core i5, 4GB, 128GB
- $1299: Core i5, 8GB, 256GB
- $1549: Core i7, 8GB, 256GB
- $1949: Core i7, 8GB, 512GB
Accessories include a Type Cover which protects the screen and functions as a keyboard, a Docking Station which adds support for 4K video output, among other things, and an Ethernet adapter. Here are the estimated prices:
- Type Cover: $130
- Docking Station: $200
- Ethernet Adapter: $40
- Additional Surface Pen: $50
- Additional 36W power supply: $80
- Additional Pen Loop: $5
The Type Cover includes backlit keys and comes in black, blue, cyan, red, or purple. It weighs 0.65 pounds and measures 0.19 inches thick.
Microsoft’s Surface Pro 3 docking station has 3 USB 3.0 ports, 2 USB 2.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, a 3.5mm audio jack, and a mini DisplayPort.
The tablet also has a new multi-position kickstand which can be used to prop up the Surface Pro 3 for laptop-style use, for watching videos, or for lying at a slight angle on a table for writing or drawing in “canvas” mode.