As I found out recently, one of the cheapest ways to speed up a notebook computer is to replace the hard drive with a faster solid state disk. SSDs generally use less power, generate less heat, and offer higher read/write speeds than most hard disks.
They’re also more expensive than traditional hard drives, but prices have been coming down in recent years, and if you don’t need 1TB of disk space, it doesn’t cost much to pick up a laptop-friendly SSD which can speed up your boot and shutdown times, open apps faster, and speed up other basic computing tasks where disk speed is often bottleneck.
Today’s roundup of deals on mobile devices and accessories includes a few good deals on solid state disks from Samsung, OCZ, and Kingston.
- Samsung 256GB SATA III 2.5″ SSD for $170 – Buy.com
- OCZ 240GB SATA III 2.5″ SSD for $140 after rebate – Newegg
- Kingston 90GB SATA III 2.5″ SSD for $50 after rebate – Newegg
- Toshiba Portege Z835 13″ ultrabook w/128GB SSD for $700 – Buy.com
- Refurb Acer Aspire One AOD270 netbook w/Atom N2600 for $210 – Concept Electronics(via eBay)
- Lenovo IdeaPad A1 7″ Android 2.3 tablet for $149 – Lenovo (coupon: USPA12N104)
- Refurb Motorola XOOM 10″ Android tablet w/32GB, 3G for $240 – Heights Mobile (via eBay)
- Motorola XOOM standard dock for $8 – DailySteals (via eBay)
- Patriot 32GB class 4 SDHC card for $9 after rebate – Newegg
- Humble eBook Bundle – Pay what you want for 6-8 excellent eBooks
You can find more bargains in our daily deals section.