It’s been possible to install Google Android on the HP TouchPad tablet for months, thanks to the tools developed by members of the CyanogenMod team. But CyanogenMod isn’t the only version of Android that can run on HP’s 9.7 inc tablet.
Over the past few months the folks behind the AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) have made a name for themselves by delivering highly customizable builds of Google Android for dozens of phones and tablets including the HP TouchPad.
Now there’s a way for folks interested in bleeding edge features to download and install the latest nightly releases on a TouchPad.
A developer by the name of Rohan has started compiling unofficial nightlies for the TouchPad based on the latest nightly releases of the main branch of AOKP.
There are a few things to keep in mind:
- Nightlies are some of the least stable software you can install on an Android device. Expect bugs.
- There’s no official support, so it’s a very good idea to backup your system before trying an AOKP nightly.
- These builds don’t come with Google Apps preloaded, so you’ll want to download a recent gApps file if you want the Google Play Store, Gmail, Google Maps, and other Google software.
What sets AOKP apart from CyanogenMod are a ton of custom optimization options. For instance, you can:
- Disable the boot animation.
- Use a webOS-style app switcher which shows recent apps in a horizontal view rather than vertical.
- Adjust your LCD density.
- Change the actions associated with icons in the navigation bar.
- Adjust the height and width of the navigation bar.
- Display weather information.
- Choose which toggles to display in the quick settings panel.
- Adjust CPU settings.
If you’re already running Google Android on your HP TouchPad, the absolute easiest way to install AOKP nightly is to use the GooManager Beta app which is available from the Android Market.
I’m assuming you have TWRP custom recovery installed. If you’re using ClockworkMod Recovery, you’ll want to use GooManager to install TWRP 2.1 before proceeding with the steps below.
Once it’s downloaded and installed on your system, just follow these steps:
- Open GooManager
- Tap the option for “Browse all files”
- Choose “devs”
- Scroll down and tap on “rohan”
- Choose “tenderloin”
- Select “aokp_nightlies”
- Choose the file you want to download
- Tap the “Begin download” button
- Once the download is complete, go back to the GooManager home screen
- Select “Flash ROMs”
- Select the file you just downloaded
- Tap the button that says “Order selected”
- Check the appropriate boxes — I’d highly recommend at least wiping cache/dalvik cache and creating a backup.
- Tap the “Flash” button
Once that’s done your tablet should reboot, wipe your cache, backup your system, and install the AOKP nightly.
You can use GooManager to download pretty much anything hosted at Goo.im, and you can even use it to install ROMS or ZIP files that are downloaded from other sources.