There’s a new build of CyanogenMod 9 available for the HP TouchPad. The latest version includes a handful of bug fixes and a few new features for Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on HP’s discontinued tablet.
Update: There’s another new build. You can install Alpha 0.6 the same way you installed Alpha 0.5 by following the steps below.
Update 3: Official nightly builds are now available from the CyanogenMod website.
This is still unofficial software which is not supported by HP, and it’s still an alpha release — which means that there are still a number of bugs. For instance the camera doesn’t work and there’s no hardware video acceleration.
But here’s what’s new in CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 0.5 for the TouchPad:
- The kernel should crash less often (which means you won’t see as many random reboots).
- A graphics bug that had been affecting some games has been fixed.
- There are touchscreen improvements which should allow you to tap rapidly on the screen.
- The tablet should now charge more quickly.
- You can use the web browser in incognito mode.
- CMStats is now included.
If you’ve already installed CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 0 on the HP TouchPad, upgrading to Alpha 0.5 takes just a few minutes.
- Download the latest build from the links at the RootzWiki forum to your TouchPad.
- Press and hold the power button to shut down your tablet.
- Start it up again by pressing the power button again.
- From the Moboot menu, select the “boot ClockworkMod” option. (Use the volume keys to scroll up and down, and the home button to select).
- In ClockworkMod select “install zip from sdcard.”
- On the following screen select “choose zip from sdcard.”
- Navigate to the folder where you’ve placed update-cm-9.0.0-RC0-Touchpad-alpha0.5-fullofbugs.zip and select it.
- Select “Yes.”
- Once the install is complete, reboot your device and this time choose CyanogenMod from the boot menu.
When that’s done you should be running the latest build of Android 4.0 based on CyanogenMod 9 for the HP TouchPad.
If you haven’t already installed an earlier build of CM9, you can follow our step-by-step instructions — but use the new Alpha 0.5 instead of Alpha 0.
Monument Valley 2 and Lara Croft GO are both available free for iOS and Android at the moment. Humble Bundle is offering …
Liliputing’s primary sources of revenue are advertising and affiliate links (if you click the “Shop” button at the top of the page and buy something on Amazon, for example, we’ll get a small commission).
But there are several ways you can support the site directly even if you’re using an ad blocker and hate online shopping.