The Samsung Galaxy Player WiFi 5.0 is now available for purchase from J&R for $270. The device looks like a phone with a large screen, but the WiFi-only device doesn’t make cellular phone calls. Instead, it’s a portable media player that can run thousands of Android apps. It’s sort of like a big iPod touch with Android instead of iOS.
This is actually the second time the Galaxy Player WiFi 5.0 has gone on sale in the US. The first was nearly a month ago, when Woot held a one-day sale allowing customers to pick up the device for just $170. That makes the new standard price of $270 look a little steep.
But here’s what you get for the money:
- 5 inch, 480 x 800 pixel capacitive touchscreen display
- 1 GHz Samsung Hummingbird ARM Cortex-A8 single core processor
- 8GB storage
- Google Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread
- 3.2MP rear camera and VGA front-facing camera
- 802.11b/g/n WiFI
- Bluetooth 3.0
- FM Radio
- microSD card slot
- 2500mAh battery (up to 8 hours of video playback or 60 hours of music)
- 720p HD video playback
- Support for DiVX, Xvid, H.264, WMV, MP4, RMVB, and other audio and video formats
- 5.6″ x 3.1″ x 0.5″
- 6.4 ounces
The little guy also has a built-in mic and stereo speakers, so you can use an internet telephony app such as Skype to make voice or video calls — but you can’t hold the device up to your ear and expect to hold a private conversation. Media player speakers basically act like they’re on speakerphone all the time.