Apple has has introduced the next-generation iPad. It’s called the iPad 2, and the tablet has a new chip called the A5 which is a dual core processor which Apple says will be up to twice as fast as the A4 chip in the original iPad, but it will have the same low power consumption. The company says the iPad 2 will have the same 10 hour battery life as the original.
Apple says the iPad 2 will also have improved graphics performance, with up to 9 times faster graphics. It supports 1080p HD video output, although you’ll need an accessory to connect an HDMI cable to the iPad’s proprietary docking port.
The new iPad is also 33% thinner, measuring just 8.8mm thick. It’s also lighter, weighing just 1.3 pounds. And as expected by many, the tablet will have front and rear-facing cameras.
Apple will offer the iPad 2 in white and black/silver colors, with the white model shipping from day one.
The iPad 2 will be available from AT&T and Verizon at launch in the US, with 3G connectivity. There’s no option for a 4G model yet.
The WiFi model will continue to have a starting price of $499 and a top price of $829 depending on the configuration.
The iPad 2 will ship on March 11th in the US, and it will begin to ship in additional countries on March 25th.
Optional accessories for the iPad 2 will include HDMI connector, a screen cover which is held to the case by magnets, and which functions as a screen cleaner and a stand as well.
You can find detailed specs after the break.
- Processor: 1 GHz A5 dual core chip
- Display: 9.7 inch, 1024 x 768 pixels (132 ppi), fingerprint resistant oleophobic coating
- WiFi: 802.11a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth 2.1
- Rear camera: 720p HD video recording, 5x digital zoom
- Front camera: VGA video or still photos
- 3G options: UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA, GSM/EDGE or CDMA EV-DO model for Verizon
- Storage: 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB
- Battery: 25 Whr, up to 10 hours of run time (9 hours over 3G)
- I/O: 30-pin dock connector, 3.5mm stereo headphone jack, mic and speaker
- Sensors: 3-axis gyroscope, accelerometer, ambient light sensor
- A-GPS: 3G model only
- Dimensions: 9.5″ x 7.3″ x 0.34″
- Weight: 1.33 pounds for WiFi model, 1.34 to 1.35 pounds for 3G models
Share this article: