On the surface, the Acer Aspire One D255 looks nearly identical to every other netbook Acer has released this year. It has the same display, keyboard, and touchpad. but under the hood the Acer Aspire One D255 has something a bit special: a dual core 1.5GHz Intel Atom N550 processor, making this netbook one of the first 10 inch models to sport a dual core CPU.
The folks at Laptop Magazine have posted a detailed review, which has a few interesting details:
- The laptop can handle 720p HD Flash video
- It struggles, however, with HD QuickTime files
- The overall performance, according to PCMark05, is about 15% better than a typical single core netbook
- The dual core CPU doesn’t have much impact on battery life, with the Aspire One running for more than 8 hours on a charge
- There appears to be a problem with the touchpad which occasionally makes the cursor jerk
Acer will also offer the Aspire One D255 with an Android dual boot option in some countries, but not the US.in my tests the Aspire One D521 only got about 5 hours of battery life.