While Asus won’t begin shipping the new ultra-thin Eee PC 1008HA for another few months, the company does have a few early prototypes on display at CeBIT this week. And our friends at jkkmobile, UMPC Portal, and Netbook News got a chance to spend some time with one. You can check out a video overview after the break, but here are a few things I learned:
- The netbook has a touchpad that’s integrated seamlessly with the computer casing, much like the Samsung NC10 touchpad (but wider).
- The new keyboard looks like one of the best I’ve seen on a netbook.
- The computer will come in at least two colors: black and white. It looks like the case has a glossy coating, which means it will be a fingerprint magnet. It seems the netbook may also have a glossy display which will reflect glare.
The Asus Eee PC 1008HA on display at CeBIT is still a prototype, and there are still a few areas that are under development. So it’s not clear yet whether there will be access panels on the bottom of the computer for removing or replacing the RAM, hard drive, or battery. And keeping in mind the fact that some of these specs may change, here’s a complete rundown of the specifications from a placard Asus stuck next to a display unit:
- Dimensions: 10.3″ x 7″ x 1″
- Weight: 2.4 pounds
- CPU: 1.66GHz Intel Atom N280
- RAM: 1GB
- HDD: 160GB
- Wireless: 802.11b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth
- Expansion: SD card slot, 2 USB ports, Mini VGA Connector, 10/100 LAN, mic, headphone
- Camera: 1.3MP
- Battery: 5 hours
- Operating System: Windows XP Home
You can read more about the Eee PC 1008HA in the Liliputing Product Database. And you can find the hands on video after the break.