The Tronsmart MK908 is one of the best Android TV sticks released to date… if you’re into that sort of thing. It’s a small box about size of a few USB flash drives squeezed together, but under the hood it has the guts of an Android phone or tablet.
You can plug it into your TV to run Android apps on a big screen — and with a little luck (or skill) you may even be able to install a desktop Linux operating system on the MK908 soon and use it as a full-fledged PC.
Geekbuying sells the MK908 for about $86, but the store sent me a free sample to test recently. Now that I’m done with it, let’s have a giveaway.
What you’re trying to win
The Tronsmart MK908 is a TV box with a Rockchip RK3188 ARM Cortex-A9 quad-core processor. It has 2GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, and a microSD card slot for extra storage.
There’s also a full-sized USB port and two mini USB ports. You need to use one of those little ports to supply power to the device, but you can plug in a full-sized USB adapter and use the other mini port as a second port for a keyboard, mouse, game controller, or external storage.
Unlike many Android TV devices I’ve tested, the MK908 has pretty strong WiFi performance, and I was able to use it to stream music and movies over the internet, and HD video over a home network.
This box is currently running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, but you can update it to Android 4.2 or install a custom ROM if you’d like.
You’ll need a keyboard, mouse, or another controller to use the MK908 since it doesn’t come with a remote control or other input device.
Here’s how to win:
Leave a comment by 5:00AM ET on Tuesday, 6/18/2013.
That’s pretty much it, but there are a few rules you should know about:
- We’ll randomly select a winner from all valid entries.
- This contest is only open to residents of the United States, or folks with a US shipping address.
- Anyone that works for Liliputing or is a close friend or family member is ineligible to win.
- Please leave only one comment. If you try to stuff the ballot box I’ll throw out all of your entries.
- Make sure you use a valid email address, Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ account to leave your comment — and make sure to check your messages.
- Once we select a winner, that person will have 48 hours to respond. If we don’t hear anything we’ll choose another name.
Thanks again to Geekbuying for providing us with an MK908 to test!
Update: Congratulations to our winner, Sai Reddy!